Last Updated on July 11, 2021 by queenie mak
There is so much to do outside of Taipei (台北), Taiwan. And one of the best day trips is visiting Jiufen (九份), which is a quaint town 40km east of the capital city.
While Jiufen used to be a gold mining town, the charming town is a tourist hotspot today. Some highlights include local food specialties and teashops along Jiufen Old Street (九份老街), seeing panoramic views from Teapot Mountain (無耳茶壺山登山) and Keelung Mountain (基隆山), and visiting the golden Yinyang Sea (陰陽海) and cascading Golden Waterfall (黃金瀑布).
Whether you spend a few days in Taipei or a few weeks in Taiwan, make sure you get out of the capital city and explore the rural side of Taiwan.
Wondering how to get to Jiufen? There are three ways to travel from Taipei to Jiufen and I’ll show you each one with my detailed guide below.
Wondering where to stay in Taipei? Check out my favourite accommodations in Taipei
Before you visit Jiufen in Taiwan
Before you take a trip from Taipei to Jiufen, take a look at my post on all my best tips for travelling to Taiwan. I included a lot of information, including getting a Taiwan prepaid SIM card, transportation around the country, and more.
Here are a few quick tips for travelling to Jiufen from Taipei:
- Get a contactless smartcard called EasyCard or iPass for your travels from Taipei to Jiufen and back. It will save you time from purchasing individual tickets and save you money as the fare is discounted when you use the smartcard.
- If you want to hike Teapot Mountain first before you explore Jiufen Old Town, stay on Bus 1062 at Jiufen until you reach the last stop at Quanji Temple. Teapot Mountain Trail starts at the road just northeast of Quanji Temple, off Qitang Road.
Want to read this post later? Pin it on your Pinterest board!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy something through them, I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting this website. For more information, please read our disclosure for more info.
How to get to Jiufen from Taipei
There are several ways to go to Jiufen from Taipei. Besides calling an Uber, which is a viable but more expensive option, there are three ways of getting to Jiufen by public transportation.
The easiest and most direct way is to take a public bus 1062 from Taipei to Jiufen.
Alternatively, take the less frequent 965 bus route to Jiufen. Or, take a Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) train to Ruifang and catch a bus to Jiufen.
1. Take Bus 1062 from Taipei to Jiufen
Perhaps the easiest way to get to Jiufen from Taipei is to take a direct bus 1062 from Taipei city centre to Jiufen. Taking a direct form of transportation can take out all the headaches of figuring out where to transfer, bus schedule, etc.
Bus 1062 route starts from Taipei via the National Freeway No. 1 to Jinguashi. The route starts from MRT Zhongxiao Fuxing Station (忠孝復興站) and ends at Quanji Temple (祈堂廟).
Bus 1062 route starts from MRT Zhongxiao Fuxing Station (忠孝復興站) and ends at Quanji Temple (祈堂廟).
Direct bus 1062 from Taipei to Jiufen
- Bus 1062: from MRT Zhongxiao Fuxing Station to Jiufen Old Street bus stop
- Time: 60 minutes +
- Frequency: every 5-15 minutes (peak hours) and 10-20 minutes (off-peak hours)
- Cost: NT$113 (can use EasyCard or iPass)
- Fare and schedule: Taiwanbus
How to catch the bus at MRT Zhongxiao Fuxing Station
Wherever you are in Taipei, take the Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) to MRT Zhongxiao Fuxing Station, which is on both Bannan Line (blue) and Wenhu Line (brown).
Once you are there, take Exit 2, which will take you to Sogo Department Store (Fuxing Branch).
The bus stop is at the southwest corner of the intersection at MRT Zhongxiao Fuxing Station, on Fuxing South Road, between Zhongxiao Road and Section3, Zhongxiao East Road (see location).
Where to alight at Jiufen
The bus journey takes about 60 minutes or so as it stops at various places, including TRA Ruifang Station.
Alight at Jiufen Old Street bus stop, which is three stops after TRA Ruifang Station. Then walk 3 minutes up the same road, and you will arrive at Jiufen Old Street (see location).
2. Taipei Bus 965 to Jiufen
There is another direct bus from Taipei to Jiufen. Bus 965 passes by MRT Beimen Station (捷運北門站) and goes to TRA Ruifang Station, Jiufen and Jinguashi. The route is similar to bus 1062, but there is less bus on this route.
Once you are at MRT Beimen Station, take Exit 2. The bus stop is near the subway entrance on Tacheng Street. See the map below.
When you reached Jiufen, alight at the same bus stop as bus 1062.
Direct bus 965 from Taipei to Jiufen
- Bus 965: from MRT Beimen Station (see location) to Jiufen Old Street bus stop
- Time: 60 minutes +
- Frequency: every 30-40 minutes (peak hours) and 40-60 minutes (off-peak hours)
- Cost: NT$90 (can use EasyCard or iPass)
- Fare and schedule: Taipei Bus
3. TRA train to Ruifang and bus to Jiufen
If you like train travel as much as I do, you would want to experience the efficient Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) train system.
However, you cannot go directly from Taipei Main Station to Jiufen via a TRA train. The train only goes to Ruifang.
If you take this route, you will have to first take a train to Ruifang then a Jiufen bus.
You don’t have to buy the train ticket in advance; make sure you have enough money on your EasyCard or iPass.
TRA from Taipei to Ruifang
- TRA train: from Taipei Main Station (platform 4) to TRA Ruifang Station
- Time: 47 minutes + (local train)
- Cost: NT$49 (can use EasyCard or iPass)
- Check TRA train schedule (1000-Taipei to 7360-Ruifang)
Once you arrived at TRA Ruifang Station, there is a sign at the entrance/exit indicating where you can take a bus to Jiufen and Shifen. See photo above.
The bus stop for Jiufen is at District Square, which is a few blocks east of the train station on the same road, Section 3, Mingdeng Road (see location).
Once you are at the bus stop (pictured above), wait for bus 788, 825, 827 (these three buses go to Jiufen) 965 or 1062 (these two buses go to Jiufen and Jinguashi).
Whichever bus you take, alight at the same stop as bus 1062 and 965.
Bus from Ruifang to Jiufen
- Bus 788, 825, 827, 965, 1062: from TRA Ruifang Station to Jiufen Old Street bus stop
- Time: 12 minutes
- Cost: NT$15 (can use EasyCard or iPass)
Returning to Taipei from Jiufen
After a day of exploring Jiufen and surrounding areas, it is time to head back to Taipei. And the only way to leave Jiufen is on a public bus.
When you leave Jiufen to Taipei, catch any of the following buses at the Jiufen Old Street bus stop, on the other side of the road and up the hill (see map location).
Buses from Jiufen to Taipei
- Bus 788, 825, 827: from Jiufen Old Street bus stop to TRA Ruifang Station
- Bus 965: from Jiufen Old Street bus stop to TRA Ruifang Station and MRT Beiman Station
- Bus 1062: from Jiufen Old Street bus stop to TRA Ruifang Station and MRT Zhongxiao Fuxing Station
There will likely be a lot of people leaving Jiufen at the same time as you. This means there will be a lot of people waiting at the bus stop. Don’t worry that you won’t be able to get back to Taipei or wait a long time. Many buses leave Jiufen. Just make sure to allow for some waiting time.
And make sure you know when the last bus leaves Jiufen. Last bus for buses 788, 825 and 1062 leaves at 9:35 pm. The last bus 965 leaves at 9:00 pm. And the last bus 827 is at 5:30 pm.
Are you going to visit Jiufen while you are in Taipei?
Jiufen is one of many easy day trips from Taipei. If you want to see the rural side of Taiwan and get out of the hustle and bustle of Taipei, definitely make your way out to Jiufen and enjoy a day of exploring a charming town and taking in breathtaking views.
And if you like this post, pin it to your Pinterest board!